Monday, November 10, 2008
Altered Bottles - Next Steps
Jenn Francis and I spent the good part of the day attaching things to vintage bottles. This time, we both upped the ante and attempted to go beyond what others have done with this artsy craft idea.
After our initial trials and eventual success in securing shells to bottles and then applying an interesting patina to the solder, we knew that there was more to this than being merely decorative.
The easiest and quickest thing to do was to place things; sand, beach glass and smooth river stones inside the bottles. These internal elements provide some stability to the top-heavy finished product but also it looks cool.
Jenn then placed a place card holder (an element orginally produced by Seven Gypsies) made from twisted wire. Suddenly, the bottle had function and provided an additional option for adding a written statement of some sort to the thing.
I gathered together some microscope slide "charms" (made by sandwiching mini-collages between the slides which are then sealed with copper tape and solder) to add even more visual elements to the bottle.
This proved to open the project to many more possibilities for artistic expression, again beyond the merely decorative.
After we gathered them together, it was agreed it would be difficult to break up the set...or that to create new, complete and cohesive sets of altered bottles.
My next step is to just go into multiples that can be seen as an assemblage made up of individual pieces grouped together.
Also, attaching something other than the expected shells is a natural progression. I've tried large pieces of glass and slides.
Next steps - more found objects as well as other natural objects.
NOTE: The patina on the solder still needs to be applied to many of the pictured bottles.