Sunday, April 12, 2009

Altered Art: Vintage Bottles & Micro Slides - Final Round


After being prompted to present some work by a dear art friend, Jill Allyn Stafford (who is a wonderful collage artist, btw)at an artist's co-op show. VOX Sacramento is a group of dedicated artists in a variety of mediums who put on regular gallery showings in the Sacramento area. Their "GREEN" show seemed a perfect theme for my work using old bottles and other discarded ephemera.

However, merely showing an altered bottle wasn't quite up to the standards I imagined they anticipated, so I knew I had to step up my game a bit.

The result was a unique way to display the altered bottles on a shelf-like background as seen in these photos.


After these first few were completed, my creative juices began to flow a bit and I think I can improve on these first attempts even more. However, I am pleased with the results and believe that these assemblage works are just the beginning.

The upper piece is called "Leap of Faith," and incorporates the use of tape transfers, soldering, a painted and stenciled background as well as the micro slice "charm" which dominates the work.

The lower work is called "Mother Nature's Son" and like the other one, utilizes micro slides to even more advantage due to the collages that appear within the slides.

There are other things on the work that you cannot see from the photos, but make it even more personally significant.

Oh yeah, if you're interested, these are for sale. Email me with any inquiries you may have.

I guess it's time to get one of those Etsy shops. All the cool kids are doing it, right?

No comments: